The Baptistry at Trinity is located in the west end of the chancel and contains the baptismal font made of the same Carrara marble as the altar. It was created by the eminent neo-classical American sculptor Hiram Powers (1805-1873).
6.The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple (1910):
This window pictures Joseph holding a pair of turtledoves; Mary, the mother of Jesus; Simeon holding the Christ child; and Anna. It was made by Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich, Germany, one of the world’s foremost studios for stained glass, founded in 1848. In the late nineteenth century Mayer was named by Pope Leo XIII as the official stained glass artists to the Holy See. Mayer is still in business and has an office in Fairfield, NJ. Other Mayer windows are in churches in Charleston and Greenville.
Jesus was brought to Jerusalem to be presented to the Lord according to the law that required “a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons” as a sacrifice (Luke 2:24)
Luke 2: 25-40 records the story of Simeon, a just and devout man who was told by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Messiah. Guided by the Holy Spirit, he went to the temple. When Mary and Joseph brought in the child “to do for him after the custom of the law,” (2:27) Simeon took him in his arms and praised the Lord saying:
"Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word. For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; a light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.” (2:29-32)
This passage appears also in the services of Evening Prayer and Compline in the Book of Common Prayer under the title Nunc Dimittis.
Luke 2:36-38 tells the story of Anna, who, after her husband's death, “never left the temple but worshipped night and day with fasting and prayer.” She came upon the scene in the temple, thanked the Lord, and began to talk “about the child to all who were looking for the liberation of Jerusalem.”
MEMORIAL: THE WINDOW WAS GIVEN TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF HUGH SMITH THOMPSON (1836-1904) AND ELIZABETH CLARKSON THOMPSON (1840-1909) BY THEIR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN. THE THOMPSON BURIAL PLOT IS LOCATED JUST OUTSIDE THIS WINDOW IN THE CHURCHYARD.