Vernon Scholar Program
Vernon Scholarships will be offered by Trinity Episcopal Cathedral during the 2017-2018 academic calendar to those actively enrolled undergraduate students at the University of South Carolina who have completed their freshman year. Upon the successful completion of an application process, grants up to $3,000 will be awarded to five students, based in part upon the vision a particular applicant may have for the use of the funds. In exchange for the stipends, participants will enter a covenant with Trinity that encompasses three principal elements: (1) a commitment to regular attendance at one or more weekly worship services at Trinity; (2) a willingness to undertake a project that benefits the Trinity community, or Columbia at large; and (3) participation in mentoring relationships among a group of parishioners who will provide guidance and encouragement to the participants while engaged in the program. Trinity hopes that the participants will be challenged to find a vocation that gives their lives real meaning, regardless of how they choose to make a living.
Meet the 2017-2018 Scholars
- Carlos Arroyo: Carlos is a rising Sophomore at USC. Carlos is from Colombia, South America. He spent his high school years in Greenville, South Carolina and calls it home. Carlos is majoring in Biomedical Engineering. He wants to design prosthetics for those who have lost limbs in combat. Carlos enjoys going to the movies. His has an interest in wrestling and working out with friends. He is involved in community service through the Methodist ministry on USC’s Campus.
- Annie Bauknight: Annie is a native of Columbia. She has been a member of Trinity Cathedral all her life. She has been active in the Trinity choir for several years. She plays soccer. Annie, a rising sophomore, is majoring in Social Work. She has a passion for the people of Honduras born from her trip there with the organization Students Helping Honduras. She hopes to return. This summer Annie will return to Camp Kanuga as a counselor. As veteran camper, she is eager and excited to be going back.
- Anne Jackson: Anne is a rising Senior majoring in French. She loves French language and culture, Russian language and culture. She will study abroad in Latvia this summer where she will have an opportunity to work her Russian skills. Anne is a long-time member of Trinity. She is a dedicated member of the choir. In addition to singing, she also loves to dance.
- Amanda Maietta: Amanda is a rising Senior at USC. She is majoring in Business and Marketing. Amanda has a gift for cooking and plans to combine these skills with her business background to open a restaurant after college. Amanda likes lacrosse and NBA Basketball. She has an interest in the study of geography. This summer Amanda will be an assistant operations manager at Links in Sea Pines Plantation on Hilton Head. Her home town is Brunswick, Ohio.
- Allie Wade: Allie comes to USC from Cincinnati, Ohio. She is a rising Junior majoring in Public Health and Pre-Med. She is a swimmer at USC. Allie currently serves as an advisor for Trinity’s youth group, specifically middle school girls. As a hobby, she enjoys baking. One of her favorite quotes is “Love God and do what you want.”